Receiving a massage is one of the most nourishing things you can do for yourself. It truly offers a space of healing and relaxation. Whether it is your first massage or you are an old pro, you want to get the most benefit from your session. Here are a few things to keep in mind to enjoy your massage to the fullest:
- Be receptive and willing to fully embrace all that a massage has to offer on a physical and emotional level.
- Don’t eat right before your massage. It will be harder to relax, especially lying on your belly.
- Be sure to arrive on time. Or better yet arrive early so as to eliminate any added stress.
- Communicate clearly with your massage therapist. Therapists are not mind readers and they love to hear about the depth of pressure, what areas to focus on and what feels uncomfortable.
- Breathe. The breath allows the body to relax more deeply.
- Relax muscles and let go of any worry that might be crowding your mind. When muscles are stiff and contracted or when your mind is focused on your worries and to-dos, it becomes harder to get any release.
- Be sure to drink a lot of water after your massage. The water will flush out toxins that have been released from the muscles.
Treat yourself to a Thai massage session at Denver Integrative Massage School’s student clinic.